As you get yourself a pet Chinchilla there are different things that you should learn about your pet before you are ready to take care of Chinchilla. You can learn about it on Chinchilla Care Group as you click here. Besides that, it is really important that you set up the cage of your furry little pet carefully so that they can get a proper enclosure that they need. Here are the steps that you need to follow in order to set up the cage of your pet Chinchilla.
- You should start by choosing a wide and tall so that your pet Chinchilla has a lot of space to move around in their enclosure. It is recommended that the cage you choose is at least 4 feet wide and 7 feet tall. This way you also get the option of making the cage multilevel making it really easier for your Chinchilla to hop in its enclosure. Moreover, you should also make sure that your Chinchilla never falls from a height of 60cms when it moves around in its cage.
- It is also important that you choose a solid base for the cage as having a wired base will affect the feet of your pet over time. This is why plexiglass is really handy as it is really easy to clean and is readily available as well.
- Thereafter you should focus on the bedding of the cage. Here you can use un-treader paper or kiln-dried pine. Both of these materials work absolutely fine with your pet as it allows your pet Chinchilla to burrow without taking any damage.
- Here it is advised that you do not use cedar chips or old newspapers as they are quite harmful to your pet Chinchilla.
- Now you need to set up a stoppered water bottle inside the cage of your pet so that they have a constant supply of clean water. This will help them to cool off during summer as well. It is recommended that you do not use bowl as the water inside the wall will get soiled really quickly, besides that, Chinchillas are not supposed to get wet.
- A constant supply of hay and treats is really important for your pet as they need to constantly chew on in order to keep their tooth in shape. There are vegetables that are not good for the digestive system of your pet. This is why you should look up online and find out the things that are not suitable for our pet Chinchilla as well.
- Since Chinchillas are really active rodents, installing an exercise wheel is a really good way to ensure that your pet can move around whenever it wants. As Chinchillas are active during the night you should try to avoid exercise wheels that make too much noise. Moreover, avoid using an exercise wheel made out of plastic as your pet might chew it down over time.
- Lastly, it is important that you place the cage of your pet at a safe and well-ventilated place so that your pet Chinchilla has a constant supply of cool and dry air that is perfect for them. As they are highly prone to heat strokes because of their dense fur coat.
These are the things that you should keep in your mind as you set up a cage for your pet Chinchilla.